Acting Up Stage is making a huge impact on youth in the city.
We’re committed to developing the audiences and artists of tomorrow through One Song Glory, The Syd & Shirley Banks Prize, Student Matineé Program as well as our Audience Engagement Initiatives.
One Song Glory
Each year, up to forty-five young people from diverse backgrounds and communities across Ontario come together to train under the guidance of Toronto’s top musical theatre professionals in a positive and encouraging environment.
We are proud to report that to date, over 300 young people from different catchments across the province have completed One Song Glory.
The Syd & Shirley Banks Prize
The Syd & Shirley Banks Prize generously provides two musical theatre artists the opportunity to advance their careers through a $1,000 cash award as well as mentorship and exposure throughout our season. The program is open to musical theatre artists under 30 years of age who are under-exposed in Toronto and its surrounding areas and the winners are chosen through an open audition process.
Student Matinee Program
During each Mainstage production we offer student matinees. Heavily subsidized tickets are available to secondary and post-secondary schools, allowing educators to use our productions to spark discussion about the social and political histories and themes addressed.
Each student matinee ends with a post-show question and answer period with the cast of the musical. As well, teachers are sent copies of our study guide, offering information, activities and lesson plans to enhance the theatre going experience for students.
- Feb 13, 2013 @ 12:30pm
- Feb 27, 2013 @ 12:30PM
- May 1, 2013 @ 12PM
- May 8, 2013 @ 12PM
PRICE: $15 +HST per student for Do You Want What I Have Got / $18 per student for Falsettos, (plus one free ticket for every 20 purchased). To book tickets to one of our student matinees, contact:
Nathaniel Bryan, Audience Engagement Manager at 416-927-7880 ext 4
Audience Engagement Initiatives
Acting Up Stage Company is dedicated to continuing the conversation outside the performance with some exciting activities and opportunities for our audiences. Beginning in the theatre, we’ll be offering Art Making Workshops with our design team, where audience members will get hands on experience with creative elements involved in our productions. We’ll also be initiating a ‘Choose-Your–Own–Adventure’ Post Show Chat series immediately following Tuesday and Student Matinee performances of our Falsettos, where audiences can choose one of several topics which they are interested in learning more about.
As well, we’ll be holding interactive website, Facebook and Twitter discussions with company members to give you the scoop on what happens backstage. Last, and certainly not least, we’ll be launching a brand new blog called Musical Notes, which will follow all the developments, trends and gossip in musical theatre both locally and around the world. To stay up to date, like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and make sure to check out Musical Notes every day for the latest info!
- November 2, 2012 – 11AM – 2PM: Facebook Q&A as One Song Glory, our youth education training program kicks off! Joining us will be current Banks Prize Winners (and former One Song Glory participants) Alexis Gordon and Andres Sierra and One Song Glory Executive Producer Tamara Weisz. Like us on Facebook and join us to find out how these talented emerging artists got their start and where they’re headed next.
- November 19 – Time TBA: Online Live Audio Q&A in anticipation of Tapestries: The Music of Carole King and James Taylor. Associate Artistic Director Elenna Mosoff chats with musical director (and Dora Award winner) Reza Jacobs about their process in creating this concert, and asks him all the questions you’re eager to have answered. Do you have a question for Reza? Send them in advance to email@example.com.
- February 2013: Twitter Q&A with members of the cast and creative team of Do You Want What I Have Got? A Craigslist Cantata.
- April 2013: Live Video Q&A with members of the cast and creative team of Falsettos.
- Sunday, Apr 28 @ 5PM
- Sunday, May 5 @ 5PM
- Tuesday, Apr 23
- Tuesday, Apr 30
- Tuesday, May 7
- …and after each Student Matineé Performance